Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Two Voice Poem: Poverty

Italicized is voice one
Underlined is voice two
CAPS IS BOTH VOICES

I HATE MY HOUSE
My house is not big enough. Three floors will never be big enough.
The streets are my home


I HATE MY FAMILY
I wanted a pony for my birthday but all I got was another dog.
May family left me, abandoned me in the streets.


WHEN I'M HUNGRY...
I told my mother I wanted a big steak dinner. Of course I got it.
Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll find or collect enough money to get a small something at McDonald's. Most days, I'm left with trash.


BUT I HAVE A FUTURE
When I grow up, I'm going to be an astronaut that lives in a mansion with thousands of servants and hundreds of ponies.
When I get older, I wish to have received some kind of education, live in my own house, and start my own family.




     I thought that writing this poem was hard because I had to get into the minds of two different characters that I'm not. It was hard writing about something that I didn't really know much about. I tried to take what I've seen on like TV shows and read in books and put that in a poem from my perspective.
     In movies and books, rich kids are usually snotty and greedy and don't really ever think much of others. I tried to write in a snooty kind of way to make the wealthy child sound a little obnoxious. In books and things, I feel like people in poverty are very kind and thoughtful towards things and they seem very... innocent, so I tired to sound that way.
     I think it was a difficult activity for a lot of people because we each had to get into the minds of different people.

No comments:

Post a Comment